Last month, we released the latest No Man’s Sky update, Frontiers, and we have loved seeing Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S players and Xbox Game Pass members encounter, take command of, and develop the large alien settlements. The third season, the Cartographers Expedition, followed shortly afterward bringing more unique challenges and rewards as players fought to survive and ultimately leave a hostile planet in an exclusive hi-tech spaceship.
Today, as we approach the Halloween season, we’re releasing our fourth, suitably monstrous, expedition. We’ve called it Emergence.
Across the universe, planets have been blighted by the activity of Titan Worms. These colossal sandworms plough through the desert sands, blacking out the sun as they arc overhead, and defiling the very terrain with their cursed dust.
Travelers on this Expedition will find themselves stranded on planet Wasan, a barren world ravaged by dust storms and infested with Titan Worms. It is up to you to locate the Titan Worm impact sites, destroy the wretched Hungering Tendrils, and collect the Vile Spawn that lingers behind. The vessels of the many mouths must be purged!
As travelers cleanse planets of cursed dust and hunt the titanic sandworms, they will unravel the threads of a dark narrative. Complete the expedition route to reveal the history of a dark cult, and ultimately confront the Atlas with evidence of this indelible stain upon the universe.
This is our first Expedition to feature a narrative, and is also a mini-update, bringing with it a host of enhancements for across the game:
- More Varied Sandworms: The titanic worms throughout the universe have been enhanced with a variety of new biologies and types. These colossal beasts can now be found with a broader selection of more horrifying variants.
- Richer Particle Effects: Particle effects have been improved. Meteors, muzzle flashes, explosions, burrowing fauna dust, billowing smoke and laser impacts have all been revamped and can be seen throughout the game.
- Rideable Sandworms: Players can now tame and grow a tremendous sandworm companion to feed, pet, ride and explore the universe with. These are both terrifying and awesome creatures when fully grown, and incredible to fly.
- Feasting Casque: After discovering the secrets of an ancient Vy’keen cult, explorers can also echo their appearance with this unique, many-toothed grotesque alien.
- Ghastly Trail: The Ghastly Trail customization applies a unique organic effect to the Jetpack’s exhaust nozzles, ejecting gooey fluids and tiny worms during flight.
- Titanic Trophy: This eerie skull, once belonging to a large legless cousin of the titan sandworm, adds a touch of macabre decor to bases.
- Flesh Launcher: Add an organic element to pyrotechnic displays with the Flesh Launcher firework. These unusual fireworks explode in a splatter of slime, plasma and wormlets.
Our tiny team have loved working on Emergence and have really got into the spirit of the season. We hope that our Xbox travelers enjoy it as much as we do.
Our journey continues.
No Man's Sky
Inspired by the adventure and imagination that we love from classic science-fiction, No Man's Sky presents you with a galaxy to explore, filled with unique planets and lifeforms, and constant danger and action.
In No Man's Sky, every star is the light of a distant sun, each orbited by planets filled with life, and you can go to any of them you choose. Fly smoothly from deep space to planetary surfaces, with no loading screens, and no limits. In this infinite procedurally generated universe, you'll discover places and creatures that no other players have seen before – and perhaps never will again.
Embark on an epic voyage
At the centre of the galaxy lies a irresistible pulse which draws you on a journey towards it to learn the true nature of the cosmos. But, facing hostile creatures and fierce pirates, you'll know that death comes at a cost, and survival will be down to the choices you make over how you upgrade your ship, your weapon and suit.
Find your own destiny
Your voyage through No Man's Sky is up to you. Will you be a fighter, preying on the weak and taking their riches, or taking out pirates for their bounties? Power is yours if you upgrade your ship for speed and weaponry.
Or a trader? Find rich resources on forgotten worlds and exploit them for the highest prices. Invest in more cargo space and you'll reap huge rewards.
Or perhaps an explorer? Go beyond the known frontier and discover places and things that no one has ever seen before. Upgrade your engines to jump ever farther, and strengthen your suit for survival in toxic environments that would kill the unwary.
Share your journey
The galaxy is a living, breathing place. Trade convoys travel between stars, factions vie for territory, pirates hunt the unwary, and the police are ever watching. Every other player lives in the same galaxy, and you can choose to share your discoveries with them on a map that spans known space. Perhaps you will see the results of their actions as well as your own…