- To bring UnMetal to life, developer Unepic_Fran combined a love and appreciation of several key ingredients: Pixel art, ’90s action films, and retro stealth-action games.
- To find the right tone for UnMetal, Unepic_Fran carefully balanced the mix of kick ass gameplay and humor.
- UnMetal is available now on the Xbox Store for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S.
I still clearly remember seeing UnMetal for the first time earlier this year. As an indie games publisher, we see a lot of pitches, and every so often, something truly extraordinary stands out. I felt it immediately with UnMetal. Tight, familiar controls. Gorgeous pixel art. Well-crafted gameplay. And… hilarious? I wasn’t expecting that, but within minutes, I was genuinely laughing out loud.
You play as Jesse Fox, just an ordinary dude who was arrested for a crime he didn’t commit. If you forget, don’t worry. He’ll remind you more than once. The goal is simple: use your wits, fists, and whatever else you can find to lead Jesse’s escape from a military facility. Fortunately, Jesse will have some help along the way.
UnMetal is the brainchild of developer Unepic_Fran, who wrote, designed, and built the game entirely on his own game engine. He has a special place in his heart for retro games, which inspired its 2D graphics. Fran also has a love (and extensive knowledge) for films and TV shows from the ’80s and ’90s, which he puts to good use in UnMetal. You may notice more than a few subtle (and not-so-subtle) references during Jesse’s quest for freedom.
I mentioned earlier that the game is hysterical, however, don’t let the humor fool you into thinking that UnMetal is a cakewalk. The stealth-action mechanics are top notch, and completing each chapter will require some quick-thinking. I learned the hard way that you won’t get very far relying on pure brute force alone.
If my early experience with UnMetal taught me anything, it’s to use the environment to your advantage. Jesse ain’t got time to hide under cardboard boxes! Darkness is Jesse’s friend, and he can move about undetected, knocking out any pesky guards in his way. And if a particularly stubborn guard blocks your path, I’ll let you in on a little secret: guards love coins. Just sayin’.
For all you streamers and content creators out there, you’ll be happy to know that there is a cool feature under the Sound Settings that will shift in-game subtitles to the right to allow room on-screen for a camera!
And as an added bonus for you speedrunners out there, in the Options menu, you can enter the code SPEEDRUN to enable timers. Good luck!
UnMetal is available now on the Xbox Store for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. We’ve had so much fun working on this game, and we hope you’ll have just as much fun playing it. We look forward to hearing your thoughts!
• Uncover a clandestine plot as you escape from an enemy base where you were imprisoned for a crime you didn't commit.
• Modern gameplay mechanics that pay homage to a solid classic.
• Gain experience and skills by utilizing stealth to take down your enemies.
• Deceive, adapt, and do whatever is necessary to escape… even if you have to impersonate a cat.
• Enjoy the thrill of interrogation as you elaborate specifics of your great escape to a lieutenant who seeks to scrutinize Jesse's every word in an intricate report.
• Decipher a plethora of satirical culture, gaming and movie references. You'll laugh, you'll cry and you'll fall in love with them.
• Collect an arsenal of classic gear, things that go "pew-pew", maybe a thing or two that goes "BOOM!", and some things that go "BOING!", and definitely a thing that goes "SCRATCH".
• Does this smell like chloroform to you?
Chernobylite’s Radiation Spreads to Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S
Your Jelly Farming Adventure Begins Today in Alchemic Cutie
Lead a Marionette Through a Grim Fairy Tale World in A Juggler’s Tale